The Brioschi-Minuti Studio and Showroom at 908 W. University Av. is one of University Avenue’s most well-preserved storefronts, even though the use of the property has changed.
Brioschi-Minuti was an ornamental plaster and sculpture showroom. Its building was erected in 1922. Company founders were two Italian immigrants, Carlo Brioschi and Adolpho Minuti. The duo founded the firm in New York and came to Saint Paul in about 1909.
The building was designed by Torelli Minuti, Adolpho’s son. The building’s ornamental panels, carvings and rooftop urns were meant to spotlight the company’s work.
The firm, which continues today out of a suburban location, provided ornamentation and sculpture for countless buildings in the region including the state capitol, Saint Paul Athletic Club, Hamline Church United Methodist, Minnesota Humanities Commission building and the Robert Street Bridge.