Saint Peter Claver Catholic Church

- 375 N. Oxford Street -

Saint Peter Claver was founded in 1892, thanks to the efforts of Archbishop John Ireland. The church has its roots in a congregation that worshipped downtown, starting in 1888. In 1892, one of the founding members, Colonel Samuel Hardy, helped organize the church. He also was the first president of the Negro Catholic Conference. The church moved to Aurora and Farrington in 1892. It housed many literary, religious and community groups. The church moved to its current building in 1950 and its school opened. During the 1960s, SPCC grew within the community by creating a youth drop-in center called “The Island.”

The current building and campus were built in the 1950s, with the church cornerstone laid in 1956.

Images

Map