Saint James A.M.E. Church

- 624 W. Central Avenue -

Saint James AME Church was organized in 1876 in a one-room house near Seventh and Robert streets. The church had its ups and downs with membership but finally found a site for its own building near Jay and Fuller streets (now known as Galtier and Fuller). The congregation moved at the turn of the century but had to find other quarters due to a 1908 fire. Soon a new church was needed, as the congregation outgrew the space. The congregation celebrated in the winter of 1926 when its current basement church was dedicated. Work to build a bigger church began in the 1940s but was slowed by World War II. The building was finally completed during 1948-49. Its brick building has a seating capacity of 700, as well as detailed windows and fine woodwork and fixtures.