In 1888 Rabbi Herman Simon became rabbi of the West Side Congregations and proceeded to lead the effort to establish a Hebrew Institute on the West Side.
The St. Paul Hebrew Institute and Sheltering Home was completed and dedicated in 1911 at 297 Kentucky St. This Institute served as the Lower West Side's Talmud Torah, and its major function was the education of children. Neither the building nor the street still exist.
The Sheltering Home housed and fed many of the new immigrants when they first arrived on the Lower West Side address; in 1938 the Institute was still listed at 295 Kentucky.
The Institute remained in use until some time in 1958.